- 1What does mental health and well-being have to do with school?
- 2Who can I talk to at school regarding my child’s mental health concerns?
- 3Where can I go in my community for help if I am concerned about my child’s mental health?
- 4Walk-In Counselling Service
- 5Suicide Prevention
- 6Clinical Services
- 7Counselling Services
What does mental health and well-being have to do with school?
Good mental health is vital to our well-being. It provides us with a positive world view, helps us to deal with life’s challenges, and supports healthy relationships with our friends, families and communities. Mental health helps us to reach our potential.
Who can I talk to at school regarding my child’s mental health concerns?
- You may find it helpful to speak to your child’s teacher. The school Principal and/or guidance department (in secondary schools) is always a good place to go for help too. They can connect you with other resources you may need.
- Each school has access to a designated school social worker and psychologist through a referral process that happens at the school.
- If you are worried about your child’s mental health or safety, or that of someone else, be sure to ask for help from a health care professional.
Where can I go in my community for help if I am concerned about my child’s mental health?
- Crisis Services of Waterloo Region (available 24 hours a day/7 days a week) – 519-744-1813 or 1-844-437-3247
- Front Door – Access for Children and Youth Mental Health Services in Waterloo Region – 519-749-2932
- Ray of Hope – Youth Addictions – 519-743-2311 · 1081 King St E Kitchener
Walk-In Counselling Service
A Walk-in counselling session does not require an appointment and you can receive immediate assistance on the spot. Content discussed in walk-in sessions is held in strict confidence as with any other counselling relationship. Through a single family counselling session, experienced counsellors help identify issues and equip families with tools and strategies to address their concerns. They can also help determine the next steps for service. The focus of the session is determined by each family’s unique needs. A Walk-in counselling session does not require an appointment and is free of charge. The last appointment is one hour before closing. Please check the organization’s website for up to date information on walk-in dates and times.
Please call to book.
KW Counselling – 480 Charles Street, E., Kitchener
Tell someone if you have concerns or thoughts about suicide.
Call the crisis line (1-844-437-3247)
Call 988 if it is an emergency
Check out the resources at: www.wrspc.ca
DENTAL, website: Healthy Smiles, Healthy Kids.
Healthy Smiles Ontario is a government-funded dental program that provides free preventive, routine, and emergency dental services for children and youth 17 years old and under from low-income households.
The program includes regular visits to a licensed dental provider and covers the costs of treatment including:
- urgent or emergency dental care
Cosmetic dentistry, including teeth whitening and braces, are not covered by the program.
SEXUAL HEALTH CLINIC, website: Region of Waterloo Public Health
Sexual health services include clinical and counselling services. To make an appointment at a sexual health clinic or for counselling, call 519-883-2267.
Visit our Sexual Health Counselling or Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI) & HIV Testing for locations and hours of operation.
- Access to birth control methods & pap tests (for 24-year olds and under)
- Follow up on post-therapeutic abortion
- Testing for sexually transmitted infections including HIV
- Treatment for genital warts (HPV)
- Healthy relationships
- Sexual orientation
- Sexual assault referrals
- Birth control information
- Pregnancy testing, counselling and referrals
- Post-therapeutic abortion
- YWCA Kitchener Waterloo, http://www.ywcakw.on.ca/emergency-shelter
- OneROOF Kitchener, http://oneroof.org/
- Lutherwood Safe Haven Shelter KW: https://www.lutherwood.ca/contact/safe-haven-shelter
- Argus Residence Cambridge, http://argusresidence.com/
- House of Friendship Kitchener, http://www.houseoffriendship.org/
- see your Guidance Counsellor to discuss options