Grand River Music
Who We Are
The Music Department is a community of student musicians who share a common love of making music and a desire to be involved in the life of the school and wider community.
What We Offer
- Strings Magnet Program*
- Band & Strings (Grade 9,10,11,12)
- Vocal (Grade 10,11,12)
- Guitar and Keyboard (Grade 10,11)
- University/College Credits in grade 11 & 12 Band, Strings, and Vocal Classes
- Involvement – small and large Music ensembles for instruments and voices
- Leadership – planning events, organizing small ensembles, creating programs and posters, mentoring younger players.
- Social – music camps, trips, performances
Ways to Get Involved
- For Band Instruments – Concert Band, Honour Band, Senior Jazz Band, Symphony Orchestra, Small Ensembles
- For Guitar – Lunch Hour Guitar Club
- For String Instruments – Junior String Orchestra, Senior String Orchestra, Symphony Orchestra, Quartets
- For Voices – Concert Choir, The Six, Small Ensembles
Strings Magnet Program*
The strings magnet program is a WRDSB recognized magnet program, which means qualified students within and outside the GRCI boundary are eligible to enter the program.
Instrumental strings is a program that focuses on the development of a broad range of musical skills for students with a particular interest in instrumental string music. The GRCI music program includes many extra-curricular groups and small ensembles including two string orchestras and a full symphony orchestra. Students participate in off-campus events and performances throughout the year. Each year students are also given the opportunity to participate in 2 off-site music camps that builds both skills and a strong sense of community. Please note that students attending Instrumental Strings from areas outside of their designated home school boundary are responsible for their own transportation.